When Matt Chandler preached about racial reconciliation a few weeks ago, he followed it up with a list of several great books to increase your “ethnic IQ.” This past weekend, he preached on the sanctity of human life and the subject of abortion. This is one of the most important human rights issues in our lifetime, yet many of us are woefully uninformed. Below, you’ll find a list of informative resources that offer a greater insight into this issue. Please read intently. It is, literally, a matter of life and death.
- There are a multitude of resources available for post-abortive women and men who are seeking help and healing. If you or someone you know is yearning the forgiveness of God and His infinite grace due to the effects of abortion on their life, consider some of the ministries listed on the Coalition for Life page or reach out to Word of Hope ministry.
- Roe v. Wade Dissenting Opinion by Justice Byron White – This brief, well-written opinion expresses why Justice Byron White believed the majority of the U.S. Supreme Court made the wrong decision in Roe.
- Compelling Interest by Roger Ressler – This book takes a fascinating look at the arguments of Roe v. Wade by examining the court transcripts and incorporating commentary by experts on both sides of the issue.
- Unplanned by Abby Johnson – Witnessing the abortion of a 13-week-old child sent Abby Johnson on an emotional journey. As the director of Planned Parenthood in Bryan, Texas, Abby shares how she became a champion of the unborn. Her autobiographic tale puts a human face on both sides of the issue, while testifying to the power of God through prayer and the realities of abortion.
- Pro-Life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments by Randy Alcorn – This is a comprehensive resource for many of the apologetic arguments circling abortion. Randy Alcorn is a renowned expert in this arena.
- Abortion: The Ultimate Exploitation of Women and Deliver from Abortion by Brian Fisher – These books serve as a wake-up call to the reality of these atrocities, calling to action all who can do something about it. Hopeful that abortion will soon be unthinkable, Brian Fisher admonishes each individual, as well as the American Church, to play a role in ending this tragic act.
- Window on the Womb: 8-11 Weeks – This video shows what life is like inside the womb during the period when the vast majority of surgical abortions take place. This is around the time that most women first find out they are pregnant.
There are numerous other compositions, documentaries and websites that expand on the idea of abortion being related to greed, racism, sexism and prejudice against those with special needs. But these few recommendations will get you started. As you look into these resources, I encourage you to be in prayer on this issue. Pray that our culture would come to believe this scriptural truth: “Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward” (Ps.127:3).
Disclaimer: While we may not uphold or agree with everything in these resources, we believe they are helpful for considering how we can pursue fighting for the sanctity of human life.